Oktoberfest 2017 is teaming up with the Animal Shelter of Northeast Nebraska to feature the adorable family event of Wiener Dog Racing! The Event will take place on Saturday, September 30 at 5pm at Oktoberfest in Downtown Norfolk. Here is everything you need to know:
2017 Oktoberfest Weiner Dog Race Rules
- All dogs must be checked in by 4:30 PM on Saturday, September 30th, 2017. Races start promptly at 5:00PM.
- You must be the registered owner of your dog to race. Proof of ownership may be required.
- You must be 18 or over to participate, or a have a legal guardian present. A valid driver’s license may be required to show proof of age.
- You will need to provide a copy of all shot records for the participating dog. The State of Nebraska law requires a rabies vaccination and is required for participation. The Norfolk Area Chamber of Commerce highly recommends the distemper and kennel cough vaccinations as well.
- Races are run in heats, with no more than six dogs racing an 80 foot long course.
- Okay, so we admire Greyhounds as much as the next guy, but fair is fair. So only genuine, low-to-the-ground Dachshunds or Mixed Breed Doxies will be allowed to race. And we reserve the right to determine which dogs are wieners, and which dogs are not.
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times (except during race).
- Owners must clean up after their dogs! Please bring along your own “clean-up” gear.
- Dogs names will be called twice before the race. Simply put: if your dog is not at the gate at the time of the race, you forfeit the race.
- Two people must be available during the heat; one at the race gate, and one at the finish line.
- You may use a toy, ball or treat to entice the dog, but you must stay at each end until your dog comes to you! The toy or treat may not be thrown or tossed. You may bounce the ball but bouncing is not throwing. No loud devices, drones, laser pointers or anything that may be distracting to other dogs/owners.
- You may NOT run along side the dog, but you MAY wear a costume, if you think that will help.
- Your dog may step out of bounds but must re-enter and completely cross the finish line, within the boundaries, without being grabbed. If the dog is touched by the handler before completely crossing the finish line, the dog will be disqualified.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any pet/owner for behavior deemed inappropriate. Any dog that bites another dog, person or handler will not be permitted at the races.
ALL JUDGE’S DECISIONS ARE FINAL.